Fwd: SU Needles & U20

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: SU Needles & U20
From: Tomet9@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 11:34:57 EDT
From: Tomet9@aol.com
Full-name: Tomet9
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 11:18:35 EDT
Subject: Re: SU Needles & U20
To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
CC: Tomet9@aol.com

Hi list,

  Are any of you listers w/U20's experiencing rough idle problems? I find
that If I try for a clean steady idle that usually mid/top end performance
suffers. If I richen the idle then mid/top end improves but as a result it
rough idles and I lose off the line low end performance. I was running stock
N17's. A few years ago Dean at fairlady products turned me on to a set of
N25, I found these to give you a lot cleaner and leaner low end with enhanced
mid/top end go. I still wanted more, Now I've taken these N25's and put them
in a Power drill and sanded them a bit w/400 grit wetsand paper. I'm here to
say that I'm happy w/the result. I've got a clean leanish idle smooth and
steady with a wallop mid rpm go and pretty good top end performance. Very
good throttle response I might add. I found that it's very easy to go too far
on sanding them though,(went thru a set before I got it right). These needles
are a tad shorter than the N17 and definitely eliminate flat spots in the
5000-6000 rpms. Now as far as what these needles were made for originally, I
don't know. Dean said they were replacements for U20's but never have I heard
about these from other vendors or nissan. If any body has a clue for the
original application I'd like to know. Thought I'd pass it on, bang for the
buck it cost me $25.00 for the set. I think it's worth it.

          Tom Prather -another red roadster