Fuel Leak

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Leak
From: "Jack Davis" <jrd.boulder@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 09:44:09 -0600
Saturday our son and I participated in an autocross drivers school with my
'69 2000. For the most part we had a great time. Got to push it to (and
sometimes a bit beyond) the limits of my abilities. Never spun but got the
back end to slide out on several occasions. Our son got a ride with one of
the instructors driving - said his butt was sucking seat cover the whole
run. It was interesting to see what MY car could do in the hands of an
experienced driver.

However, a fuel leak that put an end to our day. I was watching Christopher
and when he was in a hard right turn I noticed something leaking from the
left front side. I could smell gas and when I could find nothing amiss in
the engine compartment I looked underneath. There was a wet spot just behind
the front wheel - it was definitely gas.

It appears that the gas was coming from the tube(s) on the float chamber of
my SU carbs. In looking at the all the pictures I have of the SUs there is
no tube on the float chamber. The fitting where the tube on mine is
connected is capped off.

Now to the questions. Why is fuel leaking out these tubes? Can I just cap
off these fittings?

Any help would be appreciated.

-
Jack Davis