Shasta trip (was: Looking for a convertible top)

To: Neil Levine <nalevine@dcn.davis.ca.us>
Subject: Shasta trip (was: Looking for a convertible top)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:34:28 -0700
It was written:
> I just registered for Shasta and hope to be joining the caravan leaving on
> Friday AM, joining up in Dunnigan. I was thinking of replacing the top on
> my '66 1600 before the trip...

Hmmm, I don't think you quite understand. Tops (at least, tops in the
raised position) are NOT ALLOWED during the yearly migration to
The Mountain! With the top up, how's anybody supposed to know
it's a ROADSTER??? The sun, the wind, the birds and bugs.. That's
half the trip!!!

Hats and sunscreen and TOP-DOWN roadsters... that is the ONLY
way to travel! And bring a cheap tarp for the occasional afternoon
thunderstorm...

[if you haven't guessed by now, insert LOTS of smilies here...]

For those following a saner pace, I leisurely journey up on Thursday.
That way, I can take my time, take a couple of breaks, drop by
Thunderhill if I'm so inclined, and have some 'wind-down' time before
things get rocking friday afternoon. Anyone wishing to join a Thursday
caravan please get in touch. If I don't break either one, we'll be going up
with the stock 510 as well as this year's contender for 'Worst looking
Roadster at Mt. Shasta' [top DOWN, please note]. The windshield looks
even worse than Daniel's! After Phyllis sees it, the group will probably
take me off the mailing list :-) [I still haven't gotten around to replacing
the bad tranny in my much-better-looking yellow one :-(]

-- John