Re: Rallye prices and tanau cover recommendations

To: chriss@euregio.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rallye prices and tanau cover recommendations
From: "Mike Kerr" <mikekerr@innercite.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:13:19 -0700
Also add to that the cost of storing the part for ten years.!  I myself have
to pay 2500.00 a year in property taxes on the property where  I store the
parts , plus I had to construct a $60,000.00 building to store the parts,
you know where the money came from to pay for that ? yep right.. form the
profits on the parts I sell...  The easy to get parts a good many people buy
from where ever they can get them. cheap .. and the profit on the easy parts
goes to that source, and generally that source is not a roadster specific
source, and they do not store or Carrie the hard to find parts and so they
have no overhead for storing parts that don't move...thus they can sell them
cheaper..  Also add to it the increase cost in maintaining a inventory,  Say
for instance if the increase in prices was just 15% a year and I had a
$500.000.00 inventory then it would cost me 75,000 a year just to maintain
my inventory levels...  plus add to the fact that I then have to pay taxes
on the 75,000 I invest as I can only deduct the cost of goods sold at the
end of the tax year... Now I don't Carrie this  high of inventory , but I
use to till it became economically not a good idea ..  So I am forced just
like the others to sell parts at what the market will bear on the hard to
find parts to cover my cost..

As for the parts suppliers most are in it ,not really for the money as no
one is going to get rich off of selling roadster parts , most do it for the
interest in the cars ,  But we have to cover our overhead and to do that we
have to sell what we can sell for as much as we can get out of it ...comes
back to supply and demand ....

I wish I could get more out of the parts and sell more , then I could Carrie
a larger inventory, and have money for redeveloping replacement parts , but
it is just not good economics  to do so with the currant roadster market..

As for prices between suppliers that too depends on supply and demand.. I
have a lot of used parts and  fairly cheap storage comparatively, and so so
my price are quite a bit cheaper than some one that has higher over head on
storing the used parts ...

There are cheap parts out there , if your willing to take the time and leg
work to hunt them down .. then store them your self till you happen to need
them ...

  We are all in it for the money both car owners and parts sellers , I have
never seen a owner  wanting to sell there car for  half of what they think
they could get for it just to be nice :-)

In my over 30 years of roadstering  generally  the ones that whine for cheap
parts, when they do want to sell there car they want top dollar for it .....

 Mike Kerr
Roadster Restoration
PH# 530-644-6777
Fax # 530-644-7252