Re: Found A 67.5 Solex

To: gbush@connect.ab.ca, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Found A 67.5 Solex
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:26:26 -0700
Grant,

If it is a real 67 2000 with a "small amount of rust on the rear quarter"
then 3500.00 would be a steal. As far as telling the difference between SUs
and Solexes, it shouldn't be too hard. They look nothing alike. The SUs have
that familiar dome and the solexes are flatter and wider.

As far as ensuring it is a real 67.5 2000, there are obvious things to check
for. This is not an all inclusive list, but should enable you to tell the
difference quickly.

Check the VIN. It will be SRL311-01000 or below. Don't just rely on the
plate. The number will also be etched on the frame on the drivers side just
forward of the carburetors. It will probably be hard to spot as it is
lightly done and will be covered with paint, grime, dirt, whatever. Bring
something to rub the crap away so you can check. If the number starts with
SPL, it's a conversion.

Check the block number. This will be on the passenger side just below the
cylinder head. It should be 300-600 higher than the VIN. For example, my
67.5 2000 car is SRL311-00489 and my block number is U20-00910.  The number
should match the VIN plate. If not, it could just mean the block was
replaced. Or it could be a conversion.

In the cockpit, check the speedo. It should be a 160 MPH gauge. If it has a
120 MPH gauge, chances are it is a conversion. Also, the tach should go to
8000 RPM. If it goes to 7000 RPM, it probably is a conversion.

Check the obvious stuff like badging and grill. The grill on the 67 2000 was
the first to have the "D" insert, not the three horizontal bars of the SPL.

Check the rear panel. Look for a stainless trim surrounding the license
plate. If it is there chances are good it is the real thing. This part was
unique to the 67 2000 (and they are almost impossible to find)

Anyhow, take pics! Forward to the list! It is always exciting (at least to
me) when a "new" 67 2000 is found.

Good Luck,

Andrew Murphy
1964 1500