Re: Electrical Woes

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical Woes
From: Tom Stockman <ftuck@frii.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:50:17 -0600 (MDT)
This is the classic symptom for a dirty battery post/connector, or bad
connection in the connector-to-cable.  Turn the key on, the minimal power
needs are able to draw from the battery fine, try the starter & the big
demand for current can't be met & (I'm not sure what technical explanation
is) it gives up, release the key & it won't even try to meet that minimal
demand your gen/oil lights want.

Popping the clutch or getting a jump will start the car, generally it
won't be able to charge after that, which your ammeter won't necessarily
show right away but if you have a voltmeter, it will (you'll see 12v
instead of 13.5 to 14).

There can be corrosion inside the cable terminal-end that you can't see,
the cable will look fine but won't work.

Luck--

Tom Stockman
Morrosion, CO
'67.5 1600, 300K+