Re: Factory lightweights and Roadster frames

To: "Tillinger, Richard (OLN)" <Richard_Tillinger@dresser-rand.com>
Subject: Re: Factory lightweights and Roadster frames
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:08:23 -0700
The only lightweight I have ever seen in the flesh is the Purple Lips car. The
frame is lighter than a 69's, and the body is also lighter (thinner material)
than any other Roadster I have seen. In trying to do research on the
lightweights for a story, I got all sort of conflicting info. Jack Scoville told
me there were no late lightweights and that they were all 67.5 short windshield
cars. Pete and Bob told me they never got any lightweights and that there was no
such thing as far as they knew. All three said that the frame would be (or was)
too weak if lightened as the lightweights were supposed to have been. Scoville
said they had to do a bunch of work to strengthen the frame on his supposed
lightweight.

The Purple Lips car came from Canada and Nissan Canada, while very helpful, had
no info about any of the older cars, esp race cars. The Purple Lips car has no
serial number on the frame as far as I could tell (didn't sand down to metal to
make sure it wasn't just covered over but it sure didn't look like it had been
messed with) and was a 69 the owners and the paperwork they had.

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZXT