Re: Factory lightweights and Roadster frames

To: <RoadsterGB@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Factory lightweights and Roadster frames
From: Bamandpeb@aol.com
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 23:12:27 EDT
Rob:

We got to know the Scoville's somewhat in the late 70's while attending college
in Corvallis, and buying parts at their dealership. At the time, Jeff was
racing a 510. We had many conversations about the previous roadsters. While
never able to pin down "facts", the story as I know it is:

Jack raced Ray Kaelher's 67 2000 at Newport, and won,(Jack raced in the
nationals, while Ray raced in the regionals). The factory team was also there,
and at that point Jack was offered the 67 2000 00004, Dwayne Feurhelms old car.
Jeff remembered the car as a 1600 modified to fit the 2000, very "butchered up".
At some later date, they were offered the factory lightweight car, a 69 model.
This is the car that Jack always wanted back (and won the Runoff's with), but
was unable to find out where it went after they sold it in 70-71.
Part of the confusion about the years and models of cars is the fact that both
67 2000's were usually at the track at the same time (Scoville and Kaelher),
and sometimes the #'s were changed on the cars,(and paint).

On the subject of lightweight cars, the Purple Lips racing car is definately
different than any other roadster we have seen. When Allen Murtaugh (sp?),
alias "the panelbeater" got the car in Vancouver, BC, we had a chance to see
the car as it was stripped apart for repair. The frame was lighter, with some
sections changed or removed. If memory serves correct, it also had the later
steering system. It also had only the second special trans extension housing we
had ever seen. The hinges were special. In conclusion, all of the "special
features" on this car matched the description of the Scoville lightweight car.
At one point, we tried to track down documentation on these cars thru official
Nissan contacts, only to be told that 8-10 of these cars were made, 69 model
year, and there was not a paper-trail for these cars.

Hope this helps, and our apologies for any mistakes in facts or spelling!

Dan & Susan
Portland, OR.
Hoping to find another lightweight someday!