Re: Ebay - 1 owner, 30000 mile Honda S600 Conv (OT)

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Ebay - 1 owner, 30000 mile Honda S600 Conv (OT)
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:19:35 -0500
>datsunmike

> They also made a coupe too but I think it would be too claustrophobic for
> me. My 66 makes me claustrophobic, I couldn't imagine being in a much
> smaller car.

Friends of ours in Hawaii had a 600 Sedan and another couple had a 600
Coupe. At least the bodies were completely different, but I think the drive
trains may have been the same. The Sedan was somewhat modified and raced
regularly, both autocross and what passed for road racing in Hawaii in the
mid '70s.

The Coupe belonged to friends in the Datsun Owners Club of Hawaii, Inc.
(DOCHI), and they loaned it to us for several weeks between the time we
shipped our (original) '71 510 4 door and '73 610 Wagon back to the Mainland
and when we left. Looked a bit like a bright yellow jelly bean. With a fair
sized hatch and a split fold down rear seat, it really could hold quite a
bit, and it ran well as long it was driven solo. With all four of us in it
(even though the boys were just 4 and 2), it barely made up the highway to
the Wilson Tunnel.

The gear shift (4-speed) came out from the bottom edge of the dash and was
fairly crisp. All in all, a nice car, although snug as Mike mentioned. It
sure saved our bacon, not to mention a ton in rental costs. Our friends
eventually shipped it to LA, drove to Florida for a convention and then blew
the motor in Oklahoma on the return trip. They sold it there and flew back
to the Islands.

I wouldn't mind having one for my new commute, 13 miles to D/T Fort Worth.
While I wouldn't want to commute to anywhere in the Dallas area in a semi
setup 510, I'm reconsidering for this commute when it's not too hot. Heck, I
may just use it as an excuse to get another 2000. It's all good freeway
except the last 10 blocks or so and I park on a reserved lot half a block
from the office.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)