Re: Historic races Morton wins class!!!

To: bitterrootprop@nidlink.com, MorganMFP@aol.com, DFFulmer@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Historic races Morton wins class!!!
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:43:58 EDT
bitterrootprop@nidlink.com writes:

<< I am not sure if you have competed in one of these high end vintage races,
 but I do know that the Edelbrocks come to win or place high. They usually
 show up with a Corvette and a couple of GT 350's for the girls. He even
 rolled the 59' Lister Chevy he was racing at Seattle one year... Some of the
guys who show up to the events are real racers and always be real racers. >>

Hello,

No... I have not competed in one of those high end races.  Unfortunately it
turns out that Japanese cars are not favored at these high end Vintage Races.
 But I am hoping that one day they will be open minded enough to allow Datsun
Roadsters to compete.

I realize that some of the folks that participate in the "High End" Vintage
Racing and even the "Low End...?" Vintage Racing are former professional
racers.  But that should not take away from the essence of this very special
sport.  It is great to be competitive.  That is why they race.  But there is
a definitive line that should not be crossed.  Let say that a fellow
"Roadster Lister" was a vintage racer and he was having a truely decent
battle with a former pro-racer.  On the last lap this "Pro-Racer" attempts a
last chance pass which ends up with body contact and a spin and an injury.
The "Professional" goes on to win the race.  Or should I say he go on to win
the exhibition race.

Now our Roadster buddy's car is destroyed.  But thats okay because it is only
a car.  But he is injured too.  And not only that.  The sport that he loved
so much for its friendly competitivness means nothing anymore.  He will end
up feeling pain in his back for the rest of his life and his car, which to
many of us on the List is not "only a car" is destroyed.

The professional walks away from the accident with a smashed fender and
applause.  No awards... no trophys... no fame...  But at least he can be
proud of beating a pure amature in an exhibition of classic race cars.  In my
opinion he is a small man with a very low self esteem.  "Hooraaay for the
Professional"

Vintage Racing whether it is High End or Low End is still Vintage Racing.  If
you are Professional Racer you of all people should understand that you are
"playing" on the track with amatures.  True Vintage Racers that do it for the
fun of being on the track with others in like cars.  Paint scrappers are
jerks.  If my car was hit by a hotshot looking for fame and glory during a
Vintage Event I would kick his ass.

Once again, I was not at the Monterey Historics so I am not commenting or
referring on the Morton incident.  My story was made up.  I also understand
that accidents do  happen.  My comments deal with over aggressive driving.

Ciao!

Calspeed