Re: Copper head gaskets - leak free

To: "Henry Bahn" <hbahn@home.com>, "John F Sandhoff"
Subject: Re: Copper head gaskets - leak free
From: "Helter Skelter" <helterskelter@home.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 00:25:09 -0700
i have used copper head gaskets on a variety of engines... and without much
trouble. the best way to seal it for compression is to o-ring the head with
a .041 inch stainless wire... and do a "receiver groove" in the block...
though... just o-ringing the block will work... just not as well. also... do
each hole separately...do not "figure 8" the cylinders as failure can occur
between the common wire. i have found that the only way to keep them from
"seeping" water/coolant ... is to use a thin bead of clear silicone around
every single hole in the gasket except bolt holes... on both head and block
surfaces... also around the parameter. SCE and other gasket manufactures say
to use things like "hylomar"... "gasket cinch"... or "copper coat"... these
do not work... just plain old clear silicone does the trick. i have 3 years
so far... on one of my personal vehicles without a single weep... seep...
drip or drop.