Re: Driving a 69, and progress on my 67.5 (long)

To: James M Koken <james.m.koken@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: Driving a 69, and progress on my 67.5 (long)
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 12:55:54 -0700
James M Koken wrote:

> The last time I painted a car red I asked the paint shop why it was so
> expensive.   He replied because we're paying for all of the red beetles that
> it takes to make red paint. Was he kidding or is there some truth to that?
> Mike Koken

Mike,
Red pigment used to be made with gold.  This is one reason
for the higher cost of red.  Actually red is the most costly
solid color still.  It is surpassed by those multicolor varieties
that Ford is using on their cars now.  I was told at the paint
supply house they charge $30 per ounce.  1 gallon is 128
ounces.  I think they charge about $1000 to $1200 for a quart.
Not a typo. Or somewhere close