Re: Top, Tonneau and boot

To: ambradley@yahoo.com, chriss@euregio.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Top, Tonneau and boot
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 23:15:16 -0400
Adam,

I understood your post clearly.  My comment was intended to read that
Robbin's information is not really misleading if you use the Rallye website
information as a reference.  (I was trying to save text and therefore
bandwidth)  You, I and the rest of the list are aware that there were no 71
Roadsters, but the average consumer that just bought "that cute little car
in the paper" don't know that.  To help avoid confusion, many aftermarket
manufacturers based their catalogs on the titled year as opposed to model
year.

For example, my 1500 is titled and the ID plate stamped to indicate 1965.
The car is a 1964 model though.  If I were not knowledgeable of what I
really have, and I went into a parts store and ordered the widget to fit a
1965 Datsun sports car, I could end up with a part for a 64 (good parts
guy!) a 65, or even a 1965 1600.  (OK, that is a stretch since most shops
don't know that Datsun existed before the Z, but you get the idea)

On the 69.5, I think it is more of what I tried to illustrate above.  Nissan
helps muddy the water by doing mid year changes to cars (steering box for
example) and having a lack of conformity among the cars.  (The rear quarters
for the 67.5 are another example of this - they changed part the way into
the production run)  If you know what you have and what you need, you can
see through the "misinformation,"  but if you don't know what you need, they
may help the neophyte get the right part.  They may also lead him/her
astray.  Even checking the VIN will not guarantee that all is well.  There
are plenty of documented cases where a car SHOULD have part Y, but it has
the earlier part X and it is known to never have been changed.  Dann even
makes it a point to mention this on the Rallye website (although I don't
know about the Lavender Roadsters he discusses for Idaho.)

I was not trying to flame you, I was trying to add information to the list.
I am willing to bet that a LOT of folks are not aware of the changes to the
tops.  Frankly, I don't think that most care, but all information is good
imho.

Sidney Raper
1964 1500
1967 SRL311 00060