Re: Cleaning Aluminium/Silver pieces

To: <Geegc@aol.com>, "Roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning Aluminium/Silver pieces
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:40:35 -0600
Geegc@aol.com wrote

>With my engine in pieces on the garage floor, I am slowly cleaning everything
>up.   The starter, carbs, valve cover, distributor and alternator are really
>really dirty, and so far are resisting efforts to clean them up.   I am
>soliciting comments on whether it is better to send them out for professional
>polishing, or clean them as best as possible and then use silver paint from
>Eastwood to make them look presentable.
>
>Anyone use Aluminum Jelly on these parts?
>
>Thoughts?
I've just been through this.  I ended up using a few different things.
First off, a lot of old tothbrushes! I used an aerosol egine degreaser
from Wal-Mart (Supertech, and it was cheap, 78 cents a can)  TSP worked
for most things, and Carb cleaner for thecarburetors of all things.  I
went through a lot of Scotchbrite on aluminum parts and ended up using
wet-dry snadpaper on the valve cover 400-600-800 grit before polishing.
I used a junk electric motor and and arbor and polishing kit from
eastwood for polishing the valve cover and domes on the carbs.  If you
wanted to go the paint route, TSP, a light sand and you should be good to
go.

Marc T.