Silvia at the bodyshop

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Silvia at the bodyshop
From: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 22:45:22 +0100
I went to see my Silvia that's at the bodyshop where it's
used to copy some new bodypanels for my convertible.
The man who is shaping the panels asked me if I was
interested to get the hood/bonnet and maybe the trunklid
made in aluminium. He pulled a lid from a dark corner and
told me this is the Superleggera method. The construction
is a flat steel inner frame welded to a round steel pipe and
then the aluminium panel is folded over the steel frame like
a door skin. This becomes a very lightweight piece that can
be braced with thin wall steel pipes. My first idea was to
make the hood/bonnet from fibreglass but he got me hooked
on that Superleggera idea which would be lighter. He said to
reduce oxidation between the steel and aluminium, it used to
be common practice to put linseed oil soaked cotton rags
where the aluminium was folded over the steel frame, but I
will paint the steel frame first and then use acrylic sealer.
I trust modern method more than oily rags. The trunklid could
be made too as the original construction is very sensitive to
rust, or I might make it from fibreglass. The difference in cost
is not an issue but I dont have to make up my mind yet.

Thomas