RE:Volvo Front Brake Caliper Conversion

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:Volvo Front Brake Caliper Conversion
From: Steve C Allen <67datroad@vbbn.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 20:55:54 -0800
This comes from one of the cars I saw during the Polar Bear run last weekend.
It had 4 piston Volvo front calipers on it. I asked the owner about the
paticulars and he
was not sure as the car was like that when he bought it. One of the guys told
me it was a direct bolt up but there were several other issues involved. First
the stock
roadster rotor diameter needs to be turned down around 1/8 of an inch. Secondly
the new caliper had two brake line inlets so it requires a tee fitting. Also
the caliper is a
bit wider than the stock caliper so the brake pads wear out sooner. He thought
the calipers came from a mid to late 70's Volvo 124. I looked at a site
dedicated to nothing
but Volvo's and there never was a 124. There is a 240 in that era but no 124.
Does anyone out there have any knowledge of this conversion? It is something I
would like
to try on a 66 I will be working on and does not appear to be that hard if I
could just figure out what Volvo caliper I need. This might be an attractive
alternative to the
stock setup. Thanks.

Steve Allen
Rohnert Park, CA