Re: Roadster seat options for tall drivers (was: a differing

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roadster seat options for tall drivers (was: a differing
From: "Todd Osborn" <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:36:28 -0800
Fergus,
You and I are about the same build, I ran into a similar problem when
installing my roll bar with stock seats. I ended up mounting the roll bar as
far left as possible (about 1.5" from centered) while still clearing the top
mechanism. I've since padded the roll bar and I have to be carefull not to
tear the padding when raising and lowering the top, another reason to leave
the top down. The main disadvantage of shifting the roll bar is it limits
the passenger seat travel, fortunately my wife is much shorter than me.
Another option I have thought about doing, at least with the stock seats, is
to remove track mechanism and supports. This would lower the seat about two
inches, but will put the cushion right on the floor, so you would need to
use stiffer foam. I have a 6'6" friend with a Pantera who had the floor
lowered about two inches to give him more head room, not an option for the
roadster unless you want to get into some serious frame modifications. BTW,
the legroom in the Pantera sucks (if your left foot is not on the clutch,
then your knee is in your chest), that big Ford V8 is right next to your
head (very thin "firewall") and the wiring is from a Ford Cortina -- but
they do look and sound awesome.
Todd Osborn
San Jose, CA
2x '68 2L