Re: Electrical help needed, gauge problem

To: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical help needed, gauge problem
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:23:59 -0600 (CST)
The box under the steering column is not a relay, but a voltage regulator.
The wire that is wrapped around the spring in the "relay" is a heater. The
spring is made out of two metals that expand at different rates, causing
the spring to bend as heat is applied, until the contacts open, which
turns the heater off. The spring then cools, causing the contacts to close
again. This causes the output voltage to turn on and off with the average
voltage being about 6 Volts. If the fuel gauge is goihng to full, then
dropping to zero, and then stays there until after te key is turned off
for a bit, the two wires connected to the regulator need to be reversed.
That should take care of the problem.

Reversing the battery will not harm the instrument regulator.

The horn problem is not related. I don't have a wiring diagram here to
refer to, but on the left fender well there are two metal boxes, one with
3 terminals and one with 4. The one with 3 is the horn relay. One of the
wires goes to the fuse box, getting 12 volts whether the key is on or off.
The second wire goes to the horns. The last one goes to the horn button.
Once you figure out which one goes to the steering column try grounding
the pin on the relay which connects to the horn button. You should be able
to feel the relay click and the horns should blow. If that happens the
problem is between the relay and the horn button. There is a slip ring
between the column and the steering wheel that could be not making good
contact. (I also had trouble once with the steering column not grounding
through the steering box as it should have been which caused the horn to
not work). If the relay clicks but the horns don't sound it could be
either a bad relay or bad horns. Try connecting a wire from the one
connection on the back of the horns to the battery. The horn should blow.
If it doesn't, the horn is defective. They can be opened and cleaned. If
they do blow and the relay clicks when the horn button is pressed, or the
button wire is grounded, the relay is at fault. It is also possible to
remove the relay cover and the contacts cleaned.

Give those a try and let us know how things go.

Peace, Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner