Front end work plus Engine & tranny re-install

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Front end work plus Engine & tranny re-install
From: "Dziuba, Larry" <LarryD@pengrowth.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:00:53 -0700
I will be starting back to my roadster rebuild after nine months on a house
project.  I have the rolling vehicle back from the bodyman without the
engine and tranny.  The body alignment has mostly been done and it is in a
primered state.  The bodyman said I can do all the rough stuff now and he
can fix minor bang ups later.  I want to take apart the front end.  It will
be my first attempt after disassembling a parts car w/ Michael Chutny last
weekend.  I would have preferred to do that work when I had the body off but
things don't always work out the way you plan them.  Any helpful hints like
pour tons of WD40 on every nut etc?

We used a tie rod fork to disconnect all the joints on the parts car.  It
seems that the tie rod fork was a little narrow for the control arm ball
joints.  Also, I have heard arguments for and against using heat.  The
hardest tie rod end to remove was on the steering box arm.  We lined up the
tie rod and "steering arm" so that hopefully no torque was transferred to
the steering box.

Once I have done the front end work, can the engine & tranny be put back in
prior to anything else?  Should things like brake and gas lines be first?  I
wished I had put them in earlier too.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks!  Larry.