Re: Electrical Problems - Ugh

To: Ryan Bird <birdman@myrealbox.com>
Subject: Re: Electrical Problems - Ugh
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:54:04 -0600 (CST)
I suspect that the alternator is shorted, or there is a short to ground
somewhere between the ammeter and the alternator.

Do you have a stock alternator, or has it been changed out to a higher
current unit?

You will probably have to change out the wires from the alternator to the
ammeter and from the ammeter to the starter, the insulation is probably
damaged on these wires.

Although this will not cause the noted problem, the early cars ammeters
were connected with 1/4" spade terminals. With time and corrosion and
possibly a higher current alternator these connections can overheat and
cause intermittent problems with the electrical systems.

Let me know if I can help more.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner