Re: Trim pieces part 2 - A "guilty" party replies...

To: Allen Blackmon <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Trim pieces part 2 - A "guilty" party replies...
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:00:07 -1000
Allen Blackmon wrote:

> And thanks to all of you who confirmed Paul's analysis as well!!  But why
> would anyone reomve the original moulding?

Allen:

I'm one of the guilty parties (but as an "o", not  yet a "po", and don't intend
to be one, except posthumously).

I installed the molding with the black vinyl insert to replace that  which was
originally installed.  I did so because of door dings to the original.

I had previously removed the original trim and painstakingly removed all the
dings, using a pin punch; not once, but twice.  After I had done this, and
buffed them, they looked almost as good as new.  You would have to look very
closely to discern any defect.

The dings always came back although I practice "strategic parking".

I believe the vinyl insert molding to be a perfect solution for someone who
isn't a total "purist".  You actually have to look pretty closely to note that
it's not completely stock, and the location of the trim is such that the vinyl
prevents virtually all door contact with body panels.  I've had this
"aftermarket trim" for more than 18 years, and it looks just as good as when
originally installed.

If you do away with the trim, you will get the dings to the body, and IMHO, the
roadster "just doesn't look right" without it.

Dave
'68 1600
Kailua-Kona