Solex Question

To: datsun list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solex Question
From: "milton3" <milton3@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 21:17:42 -0600
How do?

I'm procrastinating.  I should be laying on my back, begging hand cramps,
while I put the guages back in place on the '69.  The last 3 days have had
me knee deep in fiberglass, bondo and sanders.  So, no more glove box -
didn't exist anyway and the PO already had a radio in it's space - got a
fancy head unit instead.  Looks good from 10 feet - hopefully tomorrow
will be pic day and I can share my little obsession.

My question is:  Why Solexes on non 67.5 US Roadsters.  I know they still
"belong" on non US cars.  Are Solexes side drafts still supported with
rebuild kits, etc?  I know that the downdrafts have not been for several
years.

So, since they aren't original anyway, why not Webers?  They are still
supported, and we can read entire books to learn how to tune them.  Yes,
it seems that it'd be easier to jet/tune a Solex due to all the
Solex/Roadster experience out there, but what are my chances of getting
the right cam, compression, etc?  Ans:  Pretty low on my budget.  So, I'd
expect to have to tune them to my car anyway.

Any Weber'd Roadsters out there?  It's a serious question as I'm looking
at picking up about 5 carbs over time (3 for the 240 - I won't even ask
the Mikuni Q here), it just seems like it'd make sense for them to be
similar.

So, who'se bored enough to talk carb science.

Milton
Houston, '69 2000