<OT> Insurance Process

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: <OT> Insurance Process
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:30:18 -0700
Since so many people on the list have expressed interest in how an insurance
company deals with a claim on a car like mine, I figured I'd post updates on
what is happening. For the sake of those who don't want to follow this saga,
I'll try to always use this same Subject line so they can just delete the
thread. I hope that works for everyone.

So here's the first update. The adjusters from Geico came by the house this
afternoon at 5:00. I think one was in training, or else they decided to send a
more experienced adjuster along because of the car. They were polite, mellow and
asked how I was feeling. I took this as an attempt to get me to make some
positive medical statement, so I put them off with a "I'll wait and see. I get a
look at the x-rays tomorrow." This was a true statement. I seem to be getting a
little more stiff and sore as time goes on. My chiropractor said that would
probably happen for about a week.

They proceeded to check out the car very thoroughly as best as I can tell (I'm
no bodyman). They asked questions about parts availability, admitting they knew
they wouldn't have any prices in their files. They said normally they would be
able to make an estimate and actually cut me a check on the spot, but they
wouldn't be able to do that with this car because of the lack of information.
They actually spent about an hour going over the car. I had it up on jackstands
for them already. I offered to send them links to some of the vendors so they
could research parts prices, and they were appreciative.

We didn't talk about the accident, other than when they asked if their insured
had offered any explanation at the time of the accident. I told them "No, and I
didn't ask."

Overall, it seemed to be as pleasant as such an encounter could be. Maybe the
fact that I mentioned that I was on a roadster email list with about 700
members, and that a lot of people had expressed a lot of interest in how Geico
would respond to this situation had something to do with that. I didn't make it
sound like a threat, I just slipped it into the conversation.

Tomorrow my bodyman (the one who did the original work on the car) will be
coming by to give me his opinion.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]