Timing problems..... I want to get to The Glen!

To: "datsun list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing problems..... I want to get to The Glen!
From: "Mark Dent" <mark@dealermats.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 17:56:11 -0400
Ok here goes.

I rebuilt my carbs and want to get them set right.  I figured I might as well
get the timing set right first.  That was 2 weeks ago.....

I have the motor at TDC.  On the compression stroke.  The notch in the pulley
lines up with the mark on the cover.  I put the distributor gear in with the
slot at 11:25.  Put everything together and get out the timing light.  Here is
where it gets strange.

The best I can get with the timing light is about 40 degrees BTDC. Both the
adjusting screw and bolt are loose. I have moved the gear a notch in both
directions, not off a tooth.
I am doing this with the vacuum line disconnected.  What am I missing?  Is
there a way to set it without the car running so I can set it and then adjust
the carbs?

My distributor is a 7.5 one.  R motor.  Stock SU's

Could the mechanical advance be kicking in?  It is at a high idle....

I thought this would be easy........

Mark
Baltimore MD U.S.A.
63 & 64 1500's   68 1600