Re: Still having electrical problems

To: audela2 <audela2@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Still having electrical problems
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 07:50:05 -0500 (CDT)
Sounds like a battery cable CONNECTION problem. Make sure the connections
between the battery and battery cables are clean and tight.

One way to find this problem is with a volt meter. Assuming that you don't
have anything working, headlights included, turn the headlights on and
check for voltage at the following locations:

Engine block to battery - CABLE
Engine block to battery - POST
There should be no voltage shown on the two above tests.

Engine block to battery + POST
Engine block to battery + CABLE
Engine block to large terminal on starter
You should have battery voltage on each of the above tests. When you
loose it the problem is between the last two tests.

Check the end of each fuse to the body or engine block, including the fuse
clips. If you have voltage on one end of the fuse you should have voltage
on the other end, including the clips.

If you still haven't found the problem try the following tests:
Body to ignition switch hot terminal
connection Body to headlight switch hot terminal

That should get you through most of the wiring that can cause this
problem. Let me know if it doesn't.

I don't have a 310 wiring diagram in front of me, so some of these tests
may be out of place.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 Texas Longhorns, #C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712 USA