OT Re: The CA situation

To: Bill Vonnegut <bullet919@hotmail.com>
Subject: OT Re: The CA situation
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:58:07 -0800
It was written:
> With the availability of EFI systems out there, like all cars have EFI
> since 199x... what about converting over.

Most likely, it won't pass California laws.

In the past, testing has been based on two criteria:
1) Original equipment
2) Emissions level, in some areas on a treadmill (under load)

You must pass BOTH.

Swap the carb and fail the test. Never mind that emissions drop in
half. Wrong carb, you fail. Wrong distributor, wrong cam (if they
notice, which in reality they won't), wrong tailpipe (in the case
of cat cars). Low emissions don't count if the parts aren't right (and
sometimes even if they are. They once failed my 1200 because there
were 5 factory holes in the air cleaner case "that didn't belong there".
Had to have the car 'refereed').

Note: There is some way that you can legalize certain engine swaps.
Special inspection, custom VIN, I don't know what all because I've never
gone thru it...

By the way, it appears that part of the law will legalize the 'smog sniffers'
we sometimes see at the side of the freeway. They're infrared detectors
that will sense excessive tailpipe emissions and take a picture of your
car. Oh boy...

In perspective, this law is part of a package of 10 bills aimed at cleaning
up the air. Most of them deal with farm equipment (stationary diesel, etc)
I don't know why the old cars are under attack again, alas perhaps
because they seem to be an easy target - easier than reclassifying
SUV's as automobiles, or requiring Hummers to count as personal
vehicles (manufacturers don't have to bother with CAFE on huge trucks
like Excursions and H2's). Oops, I'm starting to ramble...

-- John