RE: tranny, oil pump, missing bolts questions for my 67 1600

To: "'Mike'" <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: tranny, oil pump, missing bolts questions for my 67 1600
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 12:02:47 +1030
Hi Mike,
the orientation of the pump is as you have done:- it should only
engage the drive tang in one position and that position is arbitary
with respect to the position of the crank/jackshaft/pistons etc.
NOT SO with the distributor as you no doubt realise!

The plate you are refering to is there for spacing the trans. from the
engine block and to give the starter something to sit against. There
should be two bolts right at the bottom (the flat part) to stop it
flapping in the breeze. Although not essential it will help hold the
cover against the bellhousing and prevent dirt/crud entering the
clutch area.

The shavings you found around the magnet are there because the magnet
is.
Minute shavings can be evident because of missed shifts and normal
wear and tear.
Fit a new magnet, it is the only filter the trans. has, and nice fresh
gear oil and it should be OK if you had no troubles with it before.

The Service Manual recommends errrr, doesn't mention what oil!!
I have used Penrite Manual Gearbox Oil Light, GL4 rated 80W Gear Oil,
but any good quality gear oil should be OK.
DO NOT use diff oil in the trans. or vice versa.
Have a good one.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291195515
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
1972 PL510 2 door - in storage.
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290575481
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291183313
Adelaide, South Australia.