Re: N-41 Battery options

To: Geegc@aol.com
Subject: Re: N-41 Battery options
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 19:45:00 -0600 (CST)
I have a Miata battery (from Westco) in my Roadster and really like it. I
have much more room around the distributor with it in place. Right now I
am using a rod across the top of the battery that was intended for a much
larger battery. It works, but doesn't look very good.

This is my second Westco co battery, the first one died within a year. I
don't know if it died because of a defect, or because it is in th eengine
compartment in Texas! Miata's have their batteries in the trunk. Mine
would not hold a charge and the front end of the battery was bowed in. I
figure that it was getting too hot in the engine compartment, and plan on
putting the battery in a metal box that will be vented to the fender well.
Actually, I am thinking about a double wall box with thin insulation
between the the layers. Westco didn't even question the failure, just
shipped me a new one and asked me to take the old one to a recycler.

Anyone else have a Westco battery fail like this?

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA