Re: Electric fuel pump recommendation

To: Adam Bradley <ambradley@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Electric fuel pump recommendation
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:21:39 -0800
> Want to put an electric fuel pump on my car to replace failing mechanical
> pump.  Anyone have recommendations?

Yeah - replace it with another mechanical :-)

Buy something of quality, which means avoid Kragen :-)

> Also, what is the best way to wire it up?  Connect to an existing
> hot-on-ignition fuse?

For safety, you must have some sort of shutdown protection. An
impact switch from a new-old Ford, perhaps (look in the trunk), or
what Holley makes is a switch controlled by oil pressure. They have
a two-position switch that can be wired so the pump gets pressure
when a) the key is 'on' and there is oil pressure, or b) the key is in 'start'.

> where should it go?

Electric pumps like to push the fuel, so ideally you want it mounted
near the tank. Isolate it from the frame, or you'll create a(nother)
car-wide rattle :-)

-- John