RE: 225 tires on slotted 14X6 wheels

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 225 tires on slotted 14X6 wheels
From: John Atchison <jda@srv.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:31:17 -0800
I was running 225/50/14 auto-x tires on 7" wide wheels in the rear
and 6" wide wheels in the front.

VERY tight fit in the rear without rubbing the fenders
and I have my rear fenders flared out at least an inch, maybe 2inches.

Your 225/60 tires would be even taller and will definitely hit the rear
fenders.
I also agree, that for best performance,
225 tires should go on at least a 7 inch wide rim.

Keep in mind that running wide front tires on the roadster
is not usually a fit problem, but they will throw all kinds
of road debris against the quarter panels, which will chip and damage your
paint.
With wide, sticky front race tires, I get gravel and grit through up by the
front tires
and into the cockpit with me..........glad to have a full face helmet.

As always with Datsun roadsters.......
your mileage may vary........... :>)

Wheel/tire fitment will depend greatly on exact wheel offset,
tire diameter, tread edge design, how low your 30 yr old rear springs sit,
left to right side rear body alignment, previous crash damage, etc.

That said.......I still prefer the look and performance of wide tires
on the roadsters.....!

John Atchison
Idaho Falls
69 2000