Re: [datsunroadsters] Fwd: help with posting

To: datsunmike@nyc.rr.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [datsunroadsters] Fwd: help with posting
From: SLBESQ@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:54:45 EST
In a message dated 3/21/03 3:19:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
datsunmike@nyc.rr.com writes:

> In what I learned at school, a verbal contract is binding although no
> consideration (aka money) has been exchanged. I believe an attorney's
> letter
> could shake him up but find out how much it would cost first and see if
> it's
> worth the effort.
>
> Yes, some people are slimy scum.
>
> Mike

hi everyone

this discussion is for information purposes only and is not intended to creat
an attorney client relationship.  keep in mind that contract law varies from
state to state.  i'm in california.

promises (offers)(verbal or written) are usually not enforceable without
consideration.  the exception is called promissory estoppel.  this exception
applies when one person moves to his detriment in reliance on a promise made
without consideration.  in that event, the promisor will be estopped from
denying the promise.  an example is a promise to make a gift.  such is
usually not enforceable for lack of consideration.  this unless the promisee
packs up his whole house and moves across country in reliance on the promise.
 in that event the promisor may be estopped to deny it.

verbal contracts can be enforceable when there are verbal promises going each
way, one or more from each party.  the mutual promises are sufficient
consideration to support the enforceability of the agreement.

67.5MIZU