66 Datsun Break problem

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 66 Datsun Break problem
From: Nick Turi <nturi@fiam.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:27:38 -0500
Hi List,

I hope all is well.

Problem: I have a problem with my 66 Datsun 1600. The brakes go to the
floor and then pump up to stop the car. I've replaced the two rear wheel
cylinders recently. I am not sure what the problem is. Could it be the  the
Master cylinder? Does anyone no where I can get the Master cylinder for a
66 (It is a single reservoir) ?

Thank you all for your suggestions. But ........

Well, Here goes.

This what I've done so far and I still have very poor brakes.

I have bled the brakes 4 times. I have clipped off the brake lines to see
if the master cylinder would harden up the brake pedal. It did. I have
ruled out leaks, calipers. I think the master cylinder is the problem. It
may be my imagination but if I put on the brakes the pedal goes very close
to the floor. Then if I pump up the brakes it gives me more pedal. All
though, I do have brakes they are dangerously bad. I've replaced the two
rear brake cylinders and there are no leaks there. I've had 3 different
professionals working on the brakes. They are all baffled. So am I. Any
suggestions that we have not covered.

  The only thing I can think of now is the Master Cylinder. Does anyone
have one out there?

Take Care, Nick.

Nick '66