Center console cap issues for later cars

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Center console cap issues for later cars
From: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:43:02 +0000
This is a question for you owners out there that have installed the center
console cap for later cars available from our vendors.  I was checking my
cap out for fit and I noticed that I have incredible difficuty with the cap
at the "first curve/slope away from the gear shift towards the ashtray",
i.e. the spot where the gear shift plate connects to the console.  It's
where the two tabs fit into the console.  It appears that my cap does not
have enough of a slope to fit flat on the console at that point.  It fits
fine everywhere else but not where I try to slip those two tabs in.  In
fact, it's quite a ways off.

It look like I may have to do some major cutting of the cap at that place,
which would then look kind of cheesy because the gear shift plate will not
set on top of the cap at that point like it should.  It appears that the cap
just didn't account enough for that slope from the ashtray area down to the
gear shift.  Like I said, it fits fine everywhere else.  Other option could
be to cut into the original console, but sounds kind of drastic.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?  Your solutions?
TIA

Allen
1970 2000