need diagnostic input, new GRRRR heard

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: need diagnostic input, new GRRRR heard
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:36:37 -0800
Hey folks, have a challenge for the diagnostic types. (now that narrows it
down, eh?)
I have a new rumble that is getting more common, actually quite prevalent
now, and need some input.
set-up: 69 2000, SU's, all stock, EI dizzy.
When starting up, sounds fine.  Once moving, if you slow down using engine,
(rev up and slow down while leaving in first gear)after the first/second one
you start to hear a rumble during the slowdown as well as at idle. (in all
gears, not just first) It is not so much from under the hood as under your
right heel.  Once you get it going (hear it the first time) it won't go
away.  Might sit for 5-10 seconds at idle without the noise at a light, but
then comes back and no amount of clutching,etc will make it go away or
change tone.  Well, except for starting up in a gear. I climbed under, the
return spring on the clutch slave was broken at one end, put it back on, no
improvement.
It becomes more present as driving time continues. (aka: as oil thins?
yikes.)  Pretty much constant after 20 minutes of driving.
Motor mounts are fairly new (1-2 years) and are not separated.
I didn't replace the tranny mount when I did the motor mounts.
Checked gear oil (don't do this with rear end on ramps!!!), it is fine
although very aerated, looks like thick root beer.  Tried Redline but my
elderly seals can't hold it in.
Driveshaft doesn't have any extreme play, clicks back and forth a bit when
you and jiggle it.
Exhaust is solid (checked that too) and isn't hitting the frame X-boxes, not
while running.  Hits during start-up cranking a little, pretty lightly.  Has
flex pipe in it, still in good shape.
Any ideas?
could it be the chains? Yep.
could it be exhaust pipe gasket leak? I guess, but at idle too?
synchros? yep, but while idling too?
Fergus O'Fuddled, HB,CA, 69 2000  (hope it is not the natives rattling their
chains!)