Removing 1600 Starter

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Removing 1600 Starter
From: "Tom Duffy" <tomuo@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:13:41 -0700
I'm trying to replace the starter motor on my '68 1600.
It clicks nice and loudly, the lights dim and it draws current,
but it only turns about 1/4 rev once in 10 times.
It's a new battery, freshly charged, so all that is left
is the motor itself.

Mike Young up in San Francisco gave me some pointers
on how to disassemble the motor and how to feed it
through the gap, but that gap just ain't big enough.
He's not free to come down and help until next week,
so I'm forging ahead on my own.

Here's how far I got...
http://home.comcast.net/~tomuo/starter1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tomuo/starter2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tomuo/starter3.jpg

Any ideas?

That's a pool of PB blaster under the engine, not
oil by the way.

Thanks,
Tom Duffy
Sunnyvale CA
SPL311 Daily Driver currently having R&R.