Re: Remember your first time?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Remember your first time?
From: Geegc@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 22:50:32 EST
I had a 63 Plymouth Valiant convertible and was a rallyiest and member of my
college sports car club and got all kinds of grief for driving an American
car.  So I decided to get a real sports car, and was taken by a 65 Sunbeam
Tiger
on the lot at a Plymouth dealer on Sunrise Highway in Long Island.  We were
$100 apart on price, he wanted $3100, I offered $3000, which I could not
afford,
and I didn't buy it.  But down the road was Warta Motors, a Studebaker
dealer, that had this funny 1966 white Japanese car in the showroom.  I paid
$2300
for it, and for another $100 they added Pirelli Cinturato radial tires in place
of the Bridgestone bias plys.  Needed the radials for rallying. It was still
$500 less than an MGB, and it appeared to be much better built and equipped.
It was an act of faith, the car was serial number 00096.

A year later I saw my first 67.5 solex 2000 and would have traded for it but
for a total lack of money.  Just as well, as the extra speed would have been
fatal.

Still have the white 1600, four paint jobs (now red) and two restorations
later.  Both my sons learned to drive a stick with it, and both have had
accidents in it (minor).  I think I'll be buried in it.

Gary C
red 1600
red 1600
black 2000 solex.