White 70 2000 on Ebay

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: White 70 2000 on Ebay
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:13:06 -0500
A few days ago, a white Roadster was the topic of discussion on the list.
It is item number 2451947122  on Ebay.  I took another look at it today.  I
have to disagree with those that are panning this car as being a poor
specimen for the price.  The thoughts that I saw surrounded the lack of an
interior photo, the missing trunk gasket, the missing aircleaner and the
possibility of the smog equipment being improperly removed.

Considering that the car is about 34 years old and was considered an almost
disposable car when new, this car is in pretty good condition per the
photos.  The missing aircleaner is not a big issue - nor is the vent hose.
The trunk gasket is no big deal (I have a spare if someone needs to buy
one!).  Since a full interior kit is only about $700, that is not a huge
issue either.  My concerns would be around rust and rust repair - white can
hide poor body work and internet photos are often quite flattering.  Heck I
almost look OK in internet pictures!

Anyway, back to the car.  Lets say that the car goes for $4000.  For another
$1000, the issues mentioned on the car can easily be resolved.  (that also
includes two taillights to replace the ones with the black rims).  So, for
$5000 you get a car that is unique, attractive enough to impress passers by,
in good enough condition that you would not be embarassed parking it at a
cruise in and getting positive comments from true car dorks (no offense
meant by that - I consider myself a car dork in general and a Datsun
Roadster dork in particular...).  For the same money, you can buy an older
Miata and blend in with the crowd or a nice Cavalier.  I think that it is a
good deal as it sits.  If the interior is in good condition, that makes it
even more appealing.

Just my thoughts on the subject....

Sidney Raper
1964 1500 (still a project.... sigh....)
1967 SRL311 00076 (alive again!)
Jacksonville Florida
http://www.geocities.com/roadsternut/index.html