Re: Header Gaskets

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Header Gaskets
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:32:37 -0600
Been researching Z info in anticipation of doing a Z this time next year and
at least with the L-series 6s the OEM exhaust gasket seems to work about
equally as well as the special header gaskets. I've always run OEM (FelPro)
gaskets with the Stahl header on my L-4s, but the Stahl headers may have
been built with more attention to detail than some others.

The keys, IMHO, are to have a nice fat flange that is unlikely to be warped
when it's tightened down, not to over tighten the bolts  (which you often
see) and make sure there's  a really flat surface on the head side of the
flange. You can check that with a long metal straight edge and clean some
things up some using sheet emery paper on a large piece of thick glass, or
just take it to a machine shop and have it surfaced the minimum amount
needed to make it really flat.

FWIW,
Ron