correct coolant system operation.

To: <lumps@jag-lovers.org>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: correct coolant system operation.
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:06:27 -0800
Hello All,
        I've got another dumb question about the correct set-up for the
rad-overflow system.  We have three water cooled cars and they all have
different systems.  I believe that our 73 Chevy truck has the correct
system.  It has a rad with a pressure cap.  On the neck of the rad just
below the cap is the overflow tube.  This tube runs to the bottom of the
overflow tank.  The overflow tank is half full and the top is vented to
atmosphere.  The rad cap does not prevent this flow at any time.  What the
rad cap does is, if the internal system pressure goes beyond its pressure
rating it will 'pop' venting the system to atmosphere.  As the coolant heats
up it expands and pushes some coolant into the overflow tank.  Then as the
rad cools it sucks the coolant back into the system.
        On the Jag the old cap was not letting any flow into the rad hose
this is wrong, right?  The overflow tank also had a pressure cap that wasn't
allowing it to vent.
        Does my description of the cooling system in the truck sound right?
Is that how its supposed to work?  Please someone set me straight before I
blow another engine.
                Thanks,
                        Daniel Neuman
                        Oakland CA