RE: correct coolant system operation.

To: "'Daniel Neuman'" <neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu>, <lumps@jag-lovers.org>,
Subject: RE: correct coolant system operation.
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:41:11 +1030
Hi Dan, your truck description is spot on.
You only need ONE pressure cap in the system, somewhere.
For a recirculating system, the rad cap needs to be able to positively
seal the radiator proper from the atmosphere and only allow coolant to
expand into the overflow hose or contract back into the radiator tank
from the overflow tank.
Therefore the cap will have a rubber collar to seal against the filler
neck instead of the metal disc that a non-recirculating system uses.
The Jag may have a pressure cap on the overflow tank in which case it
would have a simple non-pressure cap on the radiator.
TWO pressure caps in the system is not good!
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 PL510 2 door - at home, waiting patiently!
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2004 specs.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide, South Australia.

        On the Jag the old cap was not letting any flow into the rad hose
this is wrong, right?  The overflow tank also had a pressure cap that
wasn't
allowing it to vent.
        Does my description of the cooling system in the truck sound right?
Is that how its supposed to work?  Please someone set me straight
before I
blow another engine.
                Thanks,
                        Daniel Neuman