RE: Mars Calling Phil Hall

To: "'datsunmike'" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Mars Calling Phil Hall
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:58:16 -0600
Hey Mike -

Yes, if we get a station on the moon and invest in a new heavy lift vehicle,
or build a really large heavy lift vehicle.  The station is more
feasible/doable.  Technology speaking, the materials/knowledge we have
developed over the last 10 years will get us there.  No doubt, there is a
lot of work ahead to say the least.  In my mind two issues come up.  First,
we must have consistent, available funding.  I am working a project with the
NESC (NASA Engineering Safety Center - a new Center created after Columbia).
The NESC has funding in place so if a safety issue arises, we go at it full
bore with an independent investigation.  On the project I am working, I was
able to call in the best minds in the country, get funding to them, and fly
them to look at hardware - all in less then a week.  Normally it would take
months.  This has to start happening NASA wide.  Second, we need to keep
this "in-house" or within USA.  If we start involving other nations, we will
be slowed down and it will cost more - i.e. Space Station.  We can't do
another Space Station program.

I see where polls show the public is 50/50 split on this issue.  All the
studies I have seen show NASA is the only Gov. agency that returns back to
the economy - to the tune of $7.00 to $250.00 for every dollar we spend.  A
simple example is the cordless drill type battery.  Other examples:  The
guys in my building developed friction stir welding  now being used in car
body construction.  I have a patent going through that will save heavy
equipment manufactures and operators money on maintenance.  The list is very
large......  If we had better PR, the public would be behind us more.  Walk
in my shoes for a week - NASA is a great place to work; exciting,
challenging, fun, and flustering at times.  We have smart people and do
great work.
After all that....
Yes, we can to to Mars.

Phil