Got it!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Got it!
From: "J Sylvester" <jsylvester3136@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 06:18:21 -0600
Well, with your help, and a lot of looking, last night I bought at '68 2000
in Florida.  Great shape:  Engine was rebuilt 10K miles ago.  Body is
straight and rust free and covered in white paint that is three years old.
Interior (red) is original and in surprisingly good shape for a 35 year old
car.  Top is new.  The details go on and on, please write me if you want
more info.

A few folks have been particularly helpful in the search.  Paul, Mike, Jeff,
Tom, and especially Eric (I don't know what the protocol is for using last
names on the list, so I'll refrain from doing so just in case.)  Bob, the
current owner of the car I bought, was particularly helpful patiently
answering questions, taking lots of pictures, and generally, impressing me
with his knowledge of these cars with 30 years of Datsun history beginning
in the pits on a race crew.

I've learned a few things about buying cars on line.  In case some of you
are new to "buying from a distance" I thought I would share a few learnings:

Take your time
Take your time
Take your time
Know who you're dealing with - Folks, we all have reputations.  Word - good
and bad - gets around.  Do business with the people others have learned to
trust.  Avoid doing business with people others have learned to distrust.
Seek out the knowledge of folks who have it and willing to give it.  Ask
questions.  Listen.  Learn
Know the history of the car:  I avoided more than one car because the
current owner just didn't know anything about it.  "Yea, it's a great car
and runs super but I have no idea of what's been done to it"
Avoid a "new" paint job.  Paint that is 3-5 years old can (should) look just
as good as a new paint job.  And, a paint job that has a few years on it
will not hide the rust problems that a new paint job can
Ask for lots of pictures!  Digital cameras and high speed internet
facilitate learning about the car. If the pics aren't available, RUN
Learn the inherent weak spots of the breed and ask specifically about them
(folks on this list can list these in rapid fire better than I if you're
want more on this one)
Interiors are cheaper than mechanicals.  In order of importance (at least to
me) you want a frame and body with no rust, a solid engine, solid
transmission, solid suspension, solid rear end, good paint, good interior,
good top.  Folks go too quickly to the interior and top.  Both are
relatively cheap compared with a engine that sounds like an old chain saw
Have fun!  The fun is in the pursuit!