Fw: Upper Timing Chain Tensioner - '68 2000

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Fw: Upper Timing Chain Tensioner - '68 2000
From: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 19:30:58 -0700
Hi Everyone,  I tried the technique suggested on Gordon Glasgow's site as
suggested by Brian.  When I put the chain tension on the upper tensioner
side the chain slack on the other (chain guide - evil L) side was a lot.  I
could almost touch the two sides of the chain together.  So the chain can
definitely touch the chain guide.  The chain guide is not new so it shows
some wear from before the latest engine rebuild.  I put a small open ended
wrench in between the tensioner pad and body.  I did this to quickly reflect
additional shims.  Then I put the tension back on that side of the chain.  I
did this with a rachet set not by pushing the car back.  I would expect the
same result either way.  There was still lots of slack on the other side of
the chain.  How is that possible?  Larry.