Re: More repair questions

To: "Ken & Tammy" <wilhouse@charter.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More repair questions
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:22:04 -0500
The 4 speed always had a slightly sloppy shifter feel as it's not spring
loaded and there is play.

The input shaft will have a little play as it's just pressed in to the front
of the gear housing but make sure the caged bearings are good and that the
shaft is in good shape as well as the front nose of the main shaft.

Change the synchros while you have the box disassembled. Trust me.

Carefully check the inside of the countershaft gear and replace the shaft
and bearings. This is a must!!

I have yet to find a tranny with bad main shaft bearings although there is
always a first time. I clean them and check them for play and carefully
examine the balls for any wear or scoring.

Rear seals wear and leak and its happened to me w/no bad consequences unless
the tranny ran out of oil.

The weak spot of the 4 speeds is the countershaft bearings and shaft. 2nd
gear synchro is also a weak spot due to its frequent use.

Mike