Re: Fuel Return

To: <slowboy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Return
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:14:37 -0800
> Which year roadsters had fuel return lines to the fuel tank?

Definitely 68-on had fuel return, they may have shown up on 67.5
(sorry, don't know for sure). The fuel sender changed at the same time.

> What does that tank in my trunk (1970) up on the wall do and is it
> needed?

Evaporative control to promote cleaner air for us all. Except for a few
pounds of weight, it has no effect on performance. In my opinion,
the 'right thing' is to leave alone smog stuff that doesn't hinder the
car.

> I think I would need a fuel return line if a KA or SR end up in the car.

Yes.

> If we stayed stock engine and carbs but put a modified electric fuel pump
> in the gas tank would the fuel pressure be okay on the carbs with the
> return fuel line or is a regulator going to be needed?

Ummm, I lost you here. I thought in-tank pumps are typically for
fuel-injected applications and definitely not compatible with carbs
(45-60 PSI vs 3-5 PSI).

If you go electric, I would probably recommend a regulator just to
be safe. And don't forget the collision/rollover cutoff!

-- John