Re: Perfection (nearly)

To: J Sylvester <jsylvester3136@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: Perfection (nearly)
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:24:08 -0600
>J Sylvester:

> After years of sizing up old cars and finding each one incomplete in some
> fundamental way, the Datsun is the only one that seems to be a blended mix
> of the best of the breed.  I fact, if Datsun just could have spent a little
> time getting the top mechanism perfected (Is it me, or is it impossible to
> neatly and easily put down and store the top under the boot) they would have
> created the perfect post-war, pre modern technology roadster.

Back when we actually had a roadster ('70/'71) we rarely folded the top, but
just took it off and left it in the garage. Take off the acorn nuts on the
hinges, undo a few snaps and set it in the garage. We used to run a lot of
the Fort Worth Sports car events back then without the top. Yes, that
occasionally led to some interesting dashes through north Texas rain storms
to get home ASAP, but I do think it was better on the top than folding it.
Particularly since the rear window didn't zip out (so you could lay it flat)
in the OEM tops.

Hopefully we'll be getting another '70 2000 in the next few months and one
item that I'll need to take care of is getting a good top on it. One thing I
can tell you is NOT to run it through a drive through car wash. Don't ask me
how we found out, but the top is definitely not designed to do a good job of
keeping water out coming in from the sides. ;>)

Have fun,
Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@hot.rr.com
Ronnie_day@acd.org
Temple, TX
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)