Perfection (nearly)

To: "Datsun roadster list " <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Perfection (nearly)
From: "J Sylvester" <jsylvester3136@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:17:09 -0600
I've owned a few interesting cars over the years.  Nothing exotic, but cars
most folks would consider collectable and desirable such as a Sunbeam Tiger,
two old Mustangs (one with a 289 k-code) a 1996 Mustang SVO, a '59 MBA, and
64 MGB, just to name a few.

Last month I got a '68 2000; a car I was only tangentially aware of due to a
friend of my dad's when I was in elementary school.

I'm ready to pronounce the Datsun the most complete old car I've owned.
Whereas some had more power (Tiger), others had more room (Mustang) and
others had more panache (MGA), the Datsun is the only one that seems to be a
totally sorted out complete package.

Even at 36 years, the build quality is evident.  Certainly, in 1967, anyone
making an objective evaluation of the sporting cars of the time would have
come away with a glimpse of what Japanese auto manufacturers were going to
accomplish over the next 40 years.

Would I rather have the style and performance of an old E type?  You bet.
But the reliability?  No thanks.
Would I rather have the low end torque of a Tiger?  You bet.  But the
frightening handling?  No thanks.
Would I rather have the look of the MGA?  You bet.  But zero power or twin
cam reliability?  No thanks.

After years of sizing up old cars and finding each one incomplete in some
fundamental way, the Datsun is the only one that seems to be a blended mix
of the best of the breed.  I fact, if Datsun just could have spent a little
time getting the top mechanism perfected (Is it me, or is it impossible to
neatly and easily put down and store the top under the boot) they would have
created the perfect post-war, pre modern technology roadster.

Jim Sylvester
'68 2000
SRL311-05385
U20-06823