Re: seat upholstery/reinforce strap questions

To: Tim Waltz <printner@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: seat upholstery/reinforce strap questions
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 21:47:41 -0800 (PST)
> I've seen the kits that Too Intense sells on ebay, and it comes with "hog
> rings and the hog ring tool."

I used one of these kits to redo my driver's seat. The material appears
to be a rubberized canvas webbing or something similar, and installation
is not too hard using the hog rings. Much easier than the 'plates and
staple' of the original webbing (I redid a seat using some mil-surplus
rubber straps once. Lots of work reusing those plates, and the job lasted
only a few weeks...)

However, perhaps I did not get them tight enough to begin with, but I
found my seat sagging again pretty soon. I since pulled the seat and
pulled out a fair amount of slack and re-hogged the straps. I haven't
checked lately how they're doing (for the first time, this winter I
wrapped the car up and instead am driving something with a good
heater and an effective defroster :-) ).

I think next time I'll check with a local upholstery shop and see what
they can recommend.

-- John