Re: My First Autocross - resulting in fuel starvation

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: My First Autocross - resulting in fuel starvation
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:45:06 -0700
Keith0alan@aol.com wrote:
 >Turn your float bowl covers 90 degrees.

Hey Keith, how do you turn the float bowl covers 90 degs?
My fuel T's sez there's no way that's going to happen..

 >In a message dated 2/22/2005 8:46:33 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
 >calabria1922@yahoo.com writes:
 >>  Well, if it didn't die  everytime I went
 >>around a corner!!!
 >>
 >>Has any of you had fuel  starvation problems while
 >>cornering?  It seemed to be worse turning to  the left,
 >>but not sure.
 >>
 >>Here is my setup:
 >>68 2000
 >>Rebuilt  about 3000 miles ago
 >>"B" cam
 >>SUs
 >>New floats
 >>New "RA" needles -  recommended by another "B" cam
 >>owner
 >>New fuel pump and filter
 >>New air  cleaner
 >>
 >>Seems to work fine in a straight line at full
 >>throttle,  going through the gears, although
 >>accleration does start to taper off above  5000,
 >>getting worse as you go up in gears.
 >>
 >>OK Experts.  What do  you think????

  Ok, I'm no expert, but I'll toss some points in..
I have the same set up, except with MC needles. I've
never had it gag while cornering, including autocrossing.
It does NOT taper off at 5000 - it's pulling for at least
another 1500rpm!
  I'd go with Keith's suggestion and check the float levels,
then carb mix. O2 sensor or colortune(s) might help
set the mix for when the engine is happiest (5000+).
  A long shot might be the overflows; I've heard tell that
if you have real long overflow tubes, it's _possible_ to
get suction going and wreak havoc on your float levels.
You'd smell gas if you did, so that's a quick test.
  I assume it doesn't black smoke at high rpm? We had 8
roadsters dyno tested last Oct, and the guys that lost power
at higher rpm's were running rich (altho they were Solexes
and Webers).

  On the needles; I had the MC's dyno'd against the stock
(N17?) and 3 other's that Keith provided. The MC's provided
an incredibly smooth air/fuel mix across the rpm range, and
added 5-10 hp over the other needles. Keith reports other 2L's
getting completely different results, so it might be because
of our altitude difference..

dan neff     '69 2000
colorado springs,  co
http://www.wycroc.org