RE: Firestorm Spark Plugs?

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Firestorm Spark Plugs?
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:11:14 -0700
I'm not saying for sure it's a hoax, but there are some things that don't
necessarily add up.

For one, he says that engines can't run high rpm with conventional plugs.
Hmmm. Formula 1 engines are currently turning almost 19,000 rpm in 3.0 litre
V10 configuration. That sounds pretty high to me.

He says he can run past redline. Usually redline is determined by factors
like valve float, which are totally unrelated to the spark.

>From the look of the plugs, I doubt if you could run them in any
high-performance engine without experiencing contact between the piston
crown and the electrode. Most high-compression engines require you to index
the plugs to make sure you avoid this.

On emissions: the things that are regulated are nitrogen oxides, carbon
monoxide and unburned hydrocarbons. You get unburned hydrocarbons from
incomplete comustion, and you get nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide from
more complete combustion. So limiting all three is a balancing act. I don't
see any way a spark plug could achieve a "dramatic decrease in emissions."

Can you burn a 40:1 ratio? I don't know. Honda had the CVCC engine about
15-20 years ago that had a rich chamber to start the flamefront and a very
lean mixture in the main cylinder, and it got reasonably good mileage (I got
34 mpg in my 1978 Accord). But burning a straight 40:1? That would be tough.
Also, I believe the flamefront propagation speed is much slower with a very
lean mixture, so that could raise some timing issues.

Bottom line: I'm not going to rush out and order a set. YMMV.